Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Helping students with NETS-S standards

By following through with my goals from NETS-T, I can help my students develop proficiency in the technology standards and indicators outlined in the NETS-S. My first goal was in reference to 3d, (model and facilitate effective use of current and emerging digital tools to locate, analyze, evaluate, and use information resources to support research and learning). Requiring my students to create a digital storyboard to present a research project will help them with student goal number 6, Technology Operations and Concepts. As I model the use of technology systems, I can help students transfer their current knowledge of technology to the learning of new technology. The first digital tool that I indicated in my initial GAME Plan was the addition of podcasts. I am still working on having students share their Paradise Lost slide shows by creating a link from my web page on the school web site to make the podcasts. Students need to make final revisions and receive approval from me to complete the process.
Any time my students use technology, especially with the intent of sharing a product with a wider audience, I will need to help my students accomplish NETS-S goal 5 of understanding human, cultural, and societal issues related to technology. I will help them define and practice safe, legal, and responsible use of information so that they can demonstrate personal responsibility for lifelong learning and can exhibit leadership for digital citizenship.
Having students work with a group using a blog for communications will cover NET-S goal 2 Communication and Collaboration. Just having students work in a group using any form of technology covers several of these goals. I must be diligent to continue working on my NET-T goals so that I can help them gain proficiency in their technology standards as outlined in the iste.nets web site (www.iste.org/).

4 comments:

  1. Susan,

    Wow--I had such a hard time wrapping my head around this week's prompt or task. I like the way that you expressed the way that your working on the NETS-T goal will help the students learn the NETS-S goal. You seem to have thought everything through and integrated our learning from this class. Excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you point out that you have to be diligent and continue to work on your NETS goals, so that you can better assist your students. I think it is important that teachers continue to learn new technology and enhance their own skills, so they can be more effective when teaching or guiding students in the learning process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so easy not to push beyond my comfort zone and just stick with slide shows for now. I have to be diligent to keep the NETS-T in front of me. I think it would be beneficial to print out the goals and put them in a place in my room where I would see them everyday. Just like we want our students to set goals and work toward them, I need to model that behavior and be willing to share my progress with my classes. It would be a good way to hold myself accountable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan,
    It sounds like you are well on your way to achieving your GAME plan. I like how you integrated your the NETS-S performance indicators for your students in addition to your own NETS goals. Congratulations on all your achievements.

    ReplyDelete