Tuesday, January 25, 2011

GAME Plan Week 4

This week I have worked on my goal of communication through technology by putting into place my calendar for my web page on the school's web site. I filled in the months with each unit, so for my seniors the 17th and 18th century Age of Enlightenment literature unit will be completed at the end of next week; the Romantic Age in February; the Victorian Age during the month of March; the Modern Age after Spring Break in the second, third, and fourth weeks of April; and the Post-Modern Age in the first three weeks of May. By the end of this week my goal is to add links to documents of any worksheets we completed. Also, this is the fourth week of the semester, but since we missed an entire week of school due to snow and ice, we have really only completed three weeks of instruction. This is usually the time that I send out email updates to parents/guardians of students who may not be performing to their ability. I would like to streamline and enhance my communications through our comment section on our Parent Portal. I have not utilized the Parent Portal as much as I could. I still would like to talk with one particular colleague I know has experience with podcasts in her classroom. By the end of the week I would like to talk with her preferably in person, but at least by email.

3 comments:

  1. Do you find that e-mail is the easiest way to communicate with parents? I generally work with students of low socioeconomic backgrounds and many do not have computers at home. I find it much more effective when I am able to e-mail a parent or post something to the school website. I think it is a wonderful way to get the information out there. I am trying to teach my students to be their own self-advocate and check the website on their own and take responsibility for their own learning, but it seems to be more of a struggle to do this when the parents aren't involved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, emails are one of the fastest and most reliable forms of communication I have with parents. Many of them email me during the day which gives me a chance to respond with their students' latest update. This week a parent sent an email letting me know her daughter would not be in class that day and wanted to know if I could let them know what she missed. I was able to send her work via an email and attachment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan,

    Using the parent portal--ours is called LexConnect--more efficiently and I guess completely (?) is one of my goals, too. I am having a hard time because it is so time consuming. We used to use EdLine, and that was great, because I could type everything in once, and then copy it to the other 3 classes. We are now using Angel, and it does not have a way to synch everything so easily. This is our first year using it, so we may discover things later, at least I hope so!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete