Wednesday, January 19, 2011

GAME Plan evaluation 1.19.11

This week I've been able to work on some of the Action statements for my GAME plan. I retrieved the teacher web page packet created by our IT person (from under a stack of ungraded essays), and have read through all the features I can bolster with pertinent information for the students and parents. Today I created a template in a Word document titled Weekly Assignments which I will use to post the class lesson plans. This will be added to my Web page as a link so that students who are absent or parents needing make-up work can know what assignments they have missed. This will help me use technology to communicate more effectively with parents and students. Also, I have planned out the units for the rest of the semester and will be completing the calendar portion of the Web page this weekend. A second Action I took this week was to collaborate with another sophomore teacher who gave me a web address and worksheet for an interactive web site on Dante's Inferno. This will be used with my collaborative class, and the teacher said it was very helpful in getting and keeping the students engaged with the curriculum. I will prepare the students by deomonstrating how the web site works 0n my computer/projector and having them help me find the answers to the first two or three questions of the worksheet. I would like for them to turn this information into a podcast. To do this I will need to talk with our IT person about the logistics of student use of microphones with the new computer software. Our school has just completed (as of this week!) a computer/printer retrofit! Over 1,000 computers taken out and new ones put in! I would like to observe a colleague as they present this type of project to their class or when they are actually in a computer lab at work on this type of project. I still need to send out an e-mail to my department and ask for their help and insight on podcasting. I also still need to come up with different ideas for including technology beyond the slide show and podcast! Does anyone have some ideas that you have used and like?

6 comments:

  1. I think updating this information to your classroom webpage is a great way to keep parents informed as to what is going on in the classroom. I have been meaning to start a website for my students/parnts and I plan on doing that this month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great progress on the class website! I need to follow in your lead. It's one of my goals, as well. I haven't worked on that goal as much as the other one, however.

    Great idea to observe other teachers using the technology. I think sometimes we forget to use our closest colleagues as inspiration and support.

    As far as other ideas, I've been using the screen cast that we worked on in the inquiry class. I use YouTube.com as much as I can. You'd be surprised the types of videos out there. You can even start making some of your own and posting them. I've been playing with www.xtranormal.com for the past few days. It will be a fun way to introduce some new information. The students love it. I haven't used it officially, but we created a class movie just to show them how it works.

    One thing I've done is ask the students. They can also have some great ideas how technology can be worked into instruction. This will also give them a sense of ownership in the class, especially if you use one of their ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In our school we also look to our technology educator to help assist us in the classroom. The can be beneficial when learning new information or implementing new technologies into our lessons. By the sounds of it you have a solid start in meeting your goals. The process of students exploring with you by engaging in answering questions and then communicating through a podcast is great! I am sure you might have come across the a Voice thread which might be another way students can work collaboratively with each other. I have also wanted to start a website and have talked with my team member about how this is started. This will be a goal I hope to accomplish in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to show some YouTube videos, unfortunately, this is one of the sites our school/district has blocked. We now have the capability to podcast though, so I wonder if I could download a video to my ipod and show it that way. I understand why they don't want to give our students total access to YouTube, but there are some great relevant/educational videos that could be used. I will check out xtranormal.com to see what I can find there. Thanks for the resource!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pauline Branker:
    I have tried blogs to supplement student learning. It is a good tool to use when you want students to synthesize what they have read, and it gives them confidence that their views are valued. Their writing skills are also improved. YouTube videos are a great source, but of course, I select the videos that I want them to see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think blogs are a great way for your students to interact with each other, discuss and share their ideas, and utilize technology. These are skills that are valuable for all to learn. I also like how you will post your weekly assignments. This is a great way to keep parents informed. It will also be a great tool for your students to use. If a student is absent, they are aware of the material they missed, and can complete the assignment.

    ReplyDelete